February 6, 2010

Learning Self Defense

Hello everyone! Sorry it took me so long to make another post, I have been a little busy recently. A few weeks ago, a friend suggested that I go to a self defense class in my area, the center is called Krav Maga, they specialize in self defense and fitness training. The class was today and I went with her. We were partnered with a friend and did all kinds of moves together, I would be the defender and then we would switch and I would be the attacker. We never did any of the moves at full speed as to not hurt our partner, but we used curved kick pads for punching, kicking, jabbing and kneeing. I learned a whole lot in three hours, I am really glad I went. I'm also glad that exercising made it into Proverbs 31 list! Proverbs 31:17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. If you are a young woman living in a big city, like myself, I highly recommend going to a self defense class in your area. It's very empowering and it is a very good skill to have on the shelf, God forbid you will ever need it someday, but it's good to know that you could defend yourself in a dangerous situation. My class had about 250 women and about 25 instructors; it was a very different environment, but really fun at the same time. What do you think about self defense? Is it important for ladies to know how to defend themselves, or should that be left to the men of the house, let me know your thoughts!

God bless you and keep you safe,

Abigail Prudence

8 comments:

ocmist said...

Well, it is very nice to meet you, Abigail! I want to thank you for visiting my Proverbs Bible Study Blog and leaving a comment, and I thought I'd come over and get to know you a little better.

I think that you are a very wise young woman from what I have been reading, and can see that the Lord is leading you in good paths.

I did a few of your polls, but the one about horses didn't have the proper answer for me. I have had horses for many years and loved to ride them, but can't anymore because of a back and hip injury. You can see pics of the two horses that we still have on our Country Corgis blog if you are interested. I also have another blog called "A Country Grammy's Walk With God."

My husband and I were through San Antonio, TX about a week or so ago during our big Road Trip (described in the Country Corgi Blog) I pray that you continue the path that you have started and let God lead you for it will bring peace and joy even through any trials that this life throws at you! Linda

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! I would like to do that! I really don't need that much I live in the country,but still would be a nice thing to learn!

~Prism~ said...

I totally think it's an awesome thing. I do Tae Kwon Do, and it really helps with more than self defense. I get balance, exercise, and fun! Dangerous situations can and do happen to some people, and I believe it is not unbiblical do work to protect yourself from whatever may come.

I'm glad you had a great time!

God Bless,
~Prism~

Jenny said...

Heh, you go girl!

Andrea said...

I think proverbs 31:17 meant she stregten her arms to be a homemaker and a helpmeet to her husband...

Before I met the Lord, self defense really caught my attention, I wanted to learn tai chi, karate, cappoeira, etc, but now, I really don't see self defense as something fitting a godly woman, because we must have faith that the Lord will protect us from everything and everyone,first, pray for his protection always, because Satan, our enemy is always waiting it's chance to kill, steal and destroy, but I I pray everyday, they, why shold I doubt he'll protect me? the bible says in proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." and that sounds like an order to me, recently I started to feel like my prayers didn't arrive to my Lord's throne, or prayings started to become difficult to me, so I asked him: "show me if I'm failing to you, If there's a stain in me that spares me away from you, please, show me, and then I ready that verse, and I realised that I was failing to the Lord, so I asked him for forgiveness, because by leaning on myself I was being haughty, because He want us to depend solely on and His grace in this world, like a little kid does with his parents, and Jesus said that withouth Him we cannot do anything. Blessings.

Andrea said...

I forgot! also, I think woman has her husband to protect her, I mean, I leave rudeness to my fiancé =D Bye!

Jenny said...

I have a hard time believing it when I see comments like this, showing remarkable naivete. Horrible things happen every day and we're told to armor ourself against spiritual things; why not physical ones? It's also unrealistic to expect a man to be in your presence protecting you 24/7. He won't be, nor so I see the sense in assuming that rudeness would be ok for a man, but not a woman.

"I think proverbs 31:17 meant she stregten her arms to be a homemaker and a helpmeet to her husband"

Not everything revolves around serving a husband.

Daniel Sesseven said...

Hello, I would like to congratulate everyone involved in this project of self-defense for women. In my opinion this issue should be treated more seriously by our authorities and our leaders. It is very important for our women and know how to use basic self defense against his aggressors, both on domestic violence which in my opinion is the most serious of all, as in our cities. Thank you Daniel Sesseven